Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Santa Clarita History Simi Valley History - Dam Break


My own account,
When I was new in Real estate in the 80's in Simi Valley, an elderly lady named Alma came to me and asked me for help. She said they are trying to kill my sister. That's another story. I spent a long time that night listening to her. One thing she told me was when she was a young girl, she, her mom and her sister had to stand lookout on a tall tower. She spoke of seeing bodies and floods of water coming in at that time over the mountains. She pointed East. I mentioned this to many people in my 32 years in Simi and she was the only one that had any info. Now that I live in Santa Clarita everyone knows about that. It was the St. Francis Dam, a.k.a. San Francisquito dam break. The St. Francis Dam was a curved concrete gravity dam, built to create a large regulating and storage reservoir for the city of Los Angeles, California. At 11:57 p.m. on March 12, 1928, the dam catastrophically failed, and the resulting flood took the lives of an estimated 431 people.

What I know that others don't is that the mountain range between Stevenson Ranch Pico Canyon (S.W. of where Magic Mountain is located) is the other side of the private hills (private property) off the street Yosemite in Simi Valley, where there are also oil rigs. In Simi up in the hills, I looked down and saw Santa Clarita. 

There are numerous resources in Santa Clarita. A place to start is in the office of Tesoro Adobe Park located at 29350 Avenida Rancho Tesoro, Valencia, CA 91354 it is a public park.  http://parks.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dpr/Parks/Tesoro_Adobe_Historic_Park 

As always feel free to call me for all your real estate needs. 'Tracy Elman' Bennett, REALTOR® CalBRE #00983101 www.AskTracyElman.com  (661) 527-3777 

No comments:

Post a Comment